Dedicated To Your Success
We offer seasoned representation to our clients that helps them achieve their desired outcomes on all real estate and business law matters

When is a license or permit needed to operate your business?

by | Sep 8, 2020 | Business Law

Palos Verdes Estates residents who wish to launch a small business will likely need to apply for certain state and federal licenses or permits in order to legally operate their enterprise. What licenses and permits are necessary is based on the types of activities the business engages in, the area where the business is located and government rules and regulations.

Generally, if the activities the business engages in are regulated by a federal agency, a federal license or permit may be necessary. The following are some examples of federal permits and licenses. Keep in mind that this list is not all-exhaustive, so it is important for potential business owners to seek legal advice before opening their doors, so they can ensure all applicable licenses and permits have been obtained.

  • Those whose business is in the agriculture industry may need a license or permit from the U.S. Department of Agriculture if they intend to import or transport animals, plants, animal products, biologics or biotechnology across California state lines
  • Those whose business involves the manufacturing, wholesale, importation or sale of alcoholic beverages may need a license or permit from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
  • Those whose business involves firearms, ammunition and explosives may need a license or permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to manufacture, deal or import such goods
  • Businesses in the radio and television broadcasting industry may need a license or permit from the Federal Communications Commission
  • Those involved in the commercial fishing industry may need a license or permit from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries
  • Those involved in the mining and drilling industries who operate on federal lands may need a license or permit from the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement

This is only a brief overview of a few types of federal agencies that may require certain businesses to procure a specific license or permit before beginning operations. It is important to note that there are also state licenses and permits that may be necessary to obtain before a business can open its doors in Palos Verdes Estates. Because these are essential legalities that come with operating a business, it is important to seek the advice of knowledgeable attorneys in California who can assess your situation and advise on what legal requirements must be met.